Monday, February 1, 2010

Back in The Saddle Again

My name is Susan and I am a cake-aholic. Cake is what they call my "trigger" food. If I ate as much cake as I could, I would soon weigh as much as Roy Rogers' horse. My sister, the gourmet, doesn't get it. She cannot see how I can stand to eat "store bought" cake. It's simple: I never met a cake I didn't like. However, I realize my love of obsession with cake is battering my attempts to appear on the Smuckers Jar of life. So once again I have begun a healthy eating and exercise plan. This week I lost 2.5 pounds. This is a big weight loss for a less than five-footer like me. In Weight Watchers they call this "water weight." In my case, it was pure cake weight.

 Every time I embark on a diet healthy eating regimen, I have to buy something. This makes my husband nuts. This time it was a calorie calculator. I ordered it from Amazon and swore that I could set it up myself. After one hour and a half entering the "basic information" such as my height, current weight, goal weight, etc., I thought I had passed the worst.Then I tried entering what I ate for the day. OMG. A bowl of oatmeal took 20 minutes. Who do they design these keys for: Tinker Bell? Back in the box it went. Whew. Only lost $6 shipping on this one.

The only weight loss healthy lifestyle gadget that always works for me is my trusty Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer. (Only $23 at Amazon.)I put this baby in my pocket and strive for 10,000 steps per day. It's the only health gadget I haven't returned or thrown away. It works great, and it even automatically resets to zero every night at midnight. It reminds me that every day is a new one. Even for cake addicts, it's one day at a time.

When I went on Amazon to pull up the picture to post here, Amazon's all-knowing elves told me that I had bought mine on October 11, 2006. That was six days after my first (and so far only) heart attack. You'd think that would have been enough to get me off cake for good, wouldn't you?

The gizmo I would really like to find is the calculator that would tell me how many times I have already lost the same 2.5 pounds. On second thought, I don't want to know the answer. It would just trigger another round of Little Debbies.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Keep up the good work of losing weight and a healthy lifestyle! I am also a dessert/sweet person but if you have manjula dates then that is a healthy sweet substitute and it is filling, plenty of fiber! Also, there are some weight watcher cake options. If you are going to have a piece of cake, have it before 2pm and if you want a sweet after dinner, drink a tasty tea but do not put in sugar...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pound is a pound is a pound, whether water or cake weight!Weight Watcher leaders tell us that it is absolutely fine to have a nice piece of cake on "your" birthday, but every other day of the year, when it is everyone else's, fagettaboutit!

    ReplyDelete