Sunday, January 24, 2010

Catalogs Drive Real Estate Dreams

Haiti. The Massachusetts election. Haiti. Rain on the Golden Globes. Haiti. Dog Bites Firefighter Saving Dog's Life. Haiti. And so it went. Not a great week to even think about a catalog. Then came the Supreme Court's decision on corporations. Now all I can think about is one catalog in particular: the Vermont Country Store.

I Wanna Live in the Vermont Country Store
I wanna live in the pages of the Vermont Country Store.
I simply can't live in the real world no more.
I want to fill up my ears with Vermont Maple Butters
And never hear another word that Sarah Palin utters.
In the VC Store I can buy Camay and Lifebuoy soap,
To wash the mouths of those who tell another Tiger joke.
I can eat Sky Bars and Chuckles and Mallo Cups till I'm full.
I'll sit on chenille bedspreads; wear socks of No-Itch merino wool.
Creamy Lobster Bisque and chowders will keep away the cold.
Health care is now up to the guy who did the nude centerfold.
(So who cares if my arteries explode?)
A Circulation Toner firms me up without me moving a muscle.
Life is good in VCS land: no texting, no blogging, no hustle.
I want to live at the Vermont Country Store.
That's all there is; there isn't any more.




5 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes!!!! The Vermont Country Store is an excellent idea for a place to hide. Can I come with you? We can try out all the comforting stuff and never think about senate centerfolds, Sarah, Tiger or 23 year olds with plastic surgery again. But, I won't forget Haiti, I don't want to forget those faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Vermont! I have amazing family memories from skiing, enjoying the fireplace during a big snow storm and snow-shoeing and sliding down snow-covered hills. Also, Burlington is a charming little town (with a lot of weed)...I almost moved there years ago...thank god I moved to Israel instead and met the love of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. too chilly...but i love the bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. VCS sounds great, but can we go in the spring or summer? Boy do I hate winter, snow, freezing rain, gray skies....and did I mentiion that I hate the cold, too. VCS sounds like a dream. Do they have an outlet in Orlando?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,

    What a wonderful poem! Would you mind it if The Vermont Country Store referenced it in their catalogue, Website, etc.? If you're interested, please email me through my profile.

    Best,
    Lauren Howe
    on behalf of The Vermont Country Store

    ReplyDelete