Thursday, February 4, 2010

National Wear Red Day

It is often said that the way we face adversity shows our true character. I will extrapolate and say that when you are an inveterate shopper, what you don't buy reveals your true grit. This snow globe is something I am not buying; but I really, really want to. I'm not buying it because it is a dust-catching tschotcke, and I don't need it. But I really, really want it! It's the Go Red Snow Globe with the signature red dress to remind us that heart disease is still the Number One killer of women. That's right. It's not breast cancer. I guess boobs are sexier, no matter what. (I say this with no disrepect to the Susan Komen Foundation, which does miraculous things for breast cancer awareness.) But I am glad that the Red Dress Campaign has tremendously raised women's awareness of heart disease.

I was shocked by my own vulnerability in October, 2006. So I will remember to wear red tomorrow, Friday, February 6 for National Wear Red Day. I don't need a fancy snow globe, although it is cute, isn't it? I can throw on a red turtleneck. Those of you on the East Coast might want to throw on some red snow boots.

Now I try to eat right and exercise. Go to the American Heart Association web site for terrific advice on what this means. One of the things it means is watching your sodium. That is almost harder for me to give up than...cake! Some nutritionists feel we should eliminate all sodium. Zilch. Zero. Try to find anything in a box or can with NO sodium (or even under 150 mg. per serving). The only way to achieve it is to empty the contents and eat the package.

I recently heard a well-respected nutritionist give a lecture on the evils of salt. He said there are now studies that show a definitive correlation between excessive salt consumption and Alzheimer's. To me the thought of imminent senility is far scarier than death. Dropping dead? I can live with that. But I already have trouble remembering where I park the car. And the other day I emailed my son, who was going to meet a dignitary. After I pressed "send," I realized I had written: "Remember to shake his eye and look him in the hand." 

Yessir. Time for me to start watching those sodium labels! Skip the chips during the Super Bowl. Wear red tomorrow and love your heart!

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, informative and funny. I don't own any red clothes except a velvet gown that would be a bit much for sitting at the computer and driving carpool. But I'll put on some red you and think of lipstick. (Can you tell I eat at least 2x the recommended max for sodium?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm living in a real live snow globe today, February 6 in Baltimore, Maryland. A record 32 inches of snow, no land phones or electricity for over 12 hours. And 10 more inches on the way Tuesday night. Thanks El Nino......But I did wear red all day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say it exactly like bernthis but I'm 100% with him/her. I"ve given up cigarettes, fat, sugar and most everything else that life offers, it seems. I'm sticking with my pretzels.
    Do appreciate your sentiment re heart disease and women, though.

    ReplyDelete