Friday, December 11, 2009

What Will Your Kids Remember?

This is the time of year for creating new memories and savoring the ones we have.  We well up when we look back at poignant, emotional pictures of the past. Our most persistent memory of a loved one, however, is not always the one we expect. 
Sometimes we get stuck in a loop of  inconsequential or downright goofy moments in our family history. My late stepfather was a charming, erudite, brilliant dermatologist who could cure any itch, hive, wart or blackhead in Baltimore. At this time of year, when we go out to dinner with people for celebrations, I can never get out of my mind his after-dinner trick. He would fold a linen napkin into a woman's brassiere. It was always a crowd pleaser, and I could never figure out how he did it. I thought he took the secret to his grave. Then I saw this Napkin Origami book on Amazon and immediately took a look. It's a nice book, but alas, no bras: swans, seashells, ice cream cones--maybe things to haunt the memories of your progeny. Origami bras might not be you.


The same page on Amazon displayed the Toilet Paper Origami Book. This intrigued me. I read the comments. Apparently some people enjoy leaving little "toilegami" flowers in guest bathrooms or even in public restrooms. The world is such an amazing place. I never thought that a "random act of kindness" would involve toilet paper. If I walked into a stall in Target and found a toilet paper seagull, would I be pleasantly surprised or would I call security?

I was determined to uncover my stepfather's lost art. I googled "make napkin into bra" and found several videos. In case you want to entertain your friends and family, I suggest you watch the video below. Then practice, practice, practice. My late stepfather, Dr. Fred Glass, performed the napkin bra trick effortlessly with grace and style. Trust me. You never know what your kids are going to remember, so you'd better do everything with all the panache you've got.







Diva Update:
It is pouring again in California, and my Fireplace DVD arrived. It takes no less than three remotes to start it going, but I love it. The crackling sounds, however, are driving my dog nuts...

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I can't believe you found that video! We've been telling our grandchildren about their grandfather's "talent" for years, never being able to duplicate it as they rolled their eyes at us. I can just picture him doing it for all of us at the old Pimlico Hotel restuarant in Baltimore, when we went to celebrate special occasions. So now, via the video, we can pass this trick along to future generations, who I'm sure will never roll their eyes again . . . simply applaud and be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is your best one yet. I have to say without you, I would have lived a whole life and never watched that video and never known how wasted that life really was.

    ReplyDelete