Monday, December 7, 2009

Cozy Cabin Fever


In my last post I wrote that we have no weather here -- nothing but relentless sunshine. Naturally today it was pouring a gloppy California rain. All I wanted to do was snuggle up with a book by the fire. But we don't have a fireplace. As I browse catalogs, I realize that this fireplace fantasy is ubiquitous. Catalogs like Plow and Hearth abound with "cabin" tschotkes: dancing bear rugs, rustic lamps, full body bear pillows, freestanding electric fireplaces, etc. I don't quite get the bear angle. If I want to hug something big and hairy, I have my husband.


I do have scruples about excessive consumerism, really I do...but like Tiger Woods (what is it about the "woods" metaphors?), I must confess a transgression. Today, as a result of "cozy cabin fever," I bought something on Amazon that made my scruples stand on end, but even stiff scruples couldn't stop me. I ordered a Fireplace DVD to play on the big-screen TV, which is in the middle of our living room--where a fireplace would be if we had one. There you have it. I am guilty of stupid consumerism in the first degree. Sometimes a moth gets too close to the flame, and that's what happens to me with catalogs and online shopping. Meanwhile, the hot weather girl the meteorologist on Channel 9 says there will more rain at the end of the week. I can't wait for my crackling HD DVD to arrive! If Erik complains, I will simply point out how lucky he is that we don't have room for the freestanding electric fireplace. (Those start at $399 and go up to $999.) The DVD was only $15, so I really saved us a ton, hon.

4 comments:

  1. well hun as is usual here in wet and windy uk , we have horrid weather as well , I do have a living flame fire but its costs me an arm and a leg so maybe ill do the $15 justice and buy the DVD , "think warm, think warm" ,x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been enjoying our "fireplace" for some time now. Our grandson bought us an enhanced version this year after we purchased our big screen tv. Wow! If we had a real fireplace this big, it would burn down our row house......... I swear we've had to turn down the heat when the "fire" is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot, Hot, Hot.....I sent one of these to my single son when he graduated medical school and had his own apartment. It was better for sex, than salsa dancing.

    ReplyDelete