Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Visions of Ice Skates Dance in My Head!


It happens to me every winter. I see the Christmas tree and the skating rink at Rockefeller Center on the Today Show. I stop eating my chocolate Chanukah coins. (And now they come in dark chocolate...full of antioxidants and fat.) I put on my pedometer and walk. I lose five pounds. Bingo. I am transformed. My brain tells me that I am really 23, graceful and born to skate. Surprisingly, I can ice skate. Sort of. I can stand in ice skates, I can walk to the concession stand in ice skates and get hot chocolate. I can skate forwards and not fall or bump into anybody. That's about it. In order for me to stop skating I literally have to skate into the wall. In life there's always a wall handy when you need to hit one.

Still, every year this time, like sugarplums (whatever they are), these crazy thoughts dance in my head. The local rink gives lessons, and isn't this the time for dreams to come true? I mean, look at Sasha Cohen. We have a lot something in common. We're Jewish.  


Fortunately, this is also the time of the year when our best friends gather round. I told my dear friend Sarina about my idea to take lessons. To her credit, she did not laugh or even mention the word osteoporosis. She simply noted that if I did learn more (such as how to stop without bashing into a wall), I would probably still spend most of my time skating around in a circle. Bingo. She got me. I am a klutz and would never do a single lutz! The fantasy faded, and I saw a more realistic vision of me on ice skates.

So here's to all your holiday fantasies and dreams. May the ones that won't leave you in traction come true. I wish for all of you the best gift of all...friends that hold you up when you need it most; friends that point you in the right direction; friends that keep you from skating around in circles. Friends that make you feel like this...

Bless my friends (and yes, Erik, that includes you) who lift me to my best self every day. I hope I return the amazing grace. Happy Holidays! Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Your words always lift me to smile out loud and even a few tears. You are my holiday gift. Love, Sisawee

    ReplyDelete
  2. hitting a wall. Yes, my life is just one big day of ice skating

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we lived in Hans Brinker country, skating would be magical, but in a circle it gets boring. Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brings back memories. When I was dating my husband, he took me ice skating. He was pretty terrific and I lived up to my non-athletic reputation and could barely stand up on skates. Larry hired a kid to stay with me and pick me up the whole evening!!

    ReplyDelete