Monday, October 26, 2009

Catalogs Anonymous

So here I stand (sit, actually). I have confessed to my somewhat addictive behavior of browsing through catalogs. I had hoped that by writing about the stuff instead of buying it, I could be redeemed from the sin of excessive consumerism. Herein lies the rub. It is difficult for me to gaze upon this endless parade of goodies and not buy. Like any addict, I slip. I need a 12-step program for catalogaholics! This blog is meant to push me to write philosophical and/or witty musings inspired by the products; not to plug (or unplug) the products. But I guess that's like writing about love when you've never been kissed.

Last week I bought something from Carol Wright Gifts because, well, even my skeptical and frugal husband said, "Hey, that would be great for my ride to school!" I wish I could tell you that the fact that we agree on decaf has kept our marriage together, but all I can say with honesty is that it looks like a great gadget: a stainless steel car mug that plugs into the car cigarette lighter to keep your drink hot while your drive. $5.99! Will it work for more than a day, a week, a month or even last a year? If anybody asked you that when you got married, you wouldn't buy into that either. The mug hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know when it does and if it works.

Last year I bought an Absorbent Soap Dish from the Vermont Country Store. This soap dish "absorbs excess moisture and soap residue so the soap remains clean, dry, and lasts longer. No more gooey bars of soap." And guess what? It works! I am a bar soap person, but surely I could live with some gooey-ness in my life. Nevertheless I bought it for $7.99, and I mention it so you have some idea of the depth of my "catalog problem."

The question is this: do you think I will be able to write this blog without going broke? Being optimistic, let's say I am still writing several times a week for six months. In that much time, how much money do you think I will spend? I include a poll to check your opinions. My intention is to spend less than zero, but signs are not good. That's what it says on the Magic Eight Ball, which is available in several catalogs featuring classic toys...

4 comments:

  1. One of the big reasons I am not a bar soap person is because of the gooeyness, and I would gladly go back,and order that tray, but I'm betting the postage is six bucks! That's just what annoys me when I see something that is a good deal, and then they add tax, postage plus "handling". Postage and tax is one thing, but isn't "handling" covered by "overhead"? When I shop in a local store, they don't charge extra to put the merchandise in a bag or plain box. Those catalogue "handlers" must make like...$25 an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxiously awaiting news on the coffee mug......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying your blog. It's funny, but the first piece I wrote years ago for my writing class was about my addiction to catalogs. It's good to know someone else feels the same as I do -- or, I should say, did. I've been weaning myself for years, so that now, when catalogs come in, I don't look at the mail. I just tell my husband to recycle them. Of course, there's always the internet sites........

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were in school together, I didn't know you had this wonderful talent!!!! Did you write way back then?

    ReplyDelete