Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Mystery of Memories

Remember the show, Columbo? He was the quintessential detective who looked too sloppy and stupid to be able to solve the crime. And in a classic twist, we knew who the criminal was from the get-go. The fun was watching Peter Falk stumble in, guffaw, cajole, pester and finally ensnare the crook who was inevitably done in by his or her underestimation of Columbo's brilliance. How was it possible that this grungy, goofy guy could remember and notice the details that a mastermind criminal forgot?

Memories are like that. What we remember about our lives should be prime clues to our substance. What we remember should give a picture of who we are --because they should tell us of who we were. But I have an inner Columbo who keeps stumbling around in my brain. I remember the day a teacher yelled at me in second grade but can't recall the first words my twins said. Of course, photos help. And now that we live in an age in which we can digitally document every moment, most memories can be frozen forever to delight or indict us.

What makes me think so fondly of Columbo is that he is responsible for giving me one of my happiest memories. Well, okay, it wasn't really Columbo. It was a gifted actor and writer named Michael Pasternak, who began his career as a Columbo "impersonator." It was about 1988, and it was my father's 85th birthday. My parents came out from Baltimore to visit us here in California. We wanted to have a little party to celebrate. My sister and her husband and kids came out, too. My mother loved Columbo, and so did my dad. So when I saw the ad for Pasternak, I called. Quickly I realized that Pasternak was no ordinary celebrity impersonator. He spent about an two hours on the phone with me getting all kinds of details about the 85-year-old birthday boy--the more embarrassing, the better.

Susan and Erik Amerikaner, Hilary, Phil & Ilene Spector, Columbo, Jeannette and Fred (my parents)
We had just finished dinner that night when the doorbell rang. In sauntered Pasternak/Columbo. At first he seemed to be in the wrong place, but then he took out that notepad of his and started to give details about the life of Dr. Fred Glass that left the good doc, my mother and my whole family in complete hysterics. It was such a surprise. And surprises--good ones--are so hard to come by.

Of all the photos that were stuffed in boxes, this one above literally fell into my hands when we moved here to Leisure Village. I cried when I saw it. Look at my mother. Isn't she beautiful? Isn't she happy? What I didn't know was that it would be the last time I would see her alive. I now have the photo above my computer.

Recently I reconnected with Michael Pasternak.  I wanted him to know how he touched my life. I think you do a mitzvah (a good deed) when you let people know that. And guess what? He remembered me. And he is still doing Columbo as well as other unique, unforgettable entertainment for parties. He is a big success, and I am not surprised at that...because he probably has touched many families in similar ways. I don't want to give away the other entertainment Pasternak provides, because, as I said, surprise is key. You will have to go to http://www.pasternakproductions.com/ to see for yourself. I am no Martha Stewart, but if I were planning a party, I would want something that touches the soul instead of the palate. And you just never know what that will be...


2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Susan!
    One of my favorite memories is watching old black and white movies in my pjs with a very dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in that picture and it is always in my heart....forever. Love, Ilene

    ReplyDelete